Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Nature Notes/More Bird & Insect Activity

There was a lot of twittering in my neighbourhood this morning. It was a pair of red-vented bulbuls flying to and fro from the coconut tree to the star fruit tree. I got a good view from my upstairs balcony and quickly got these pictures.

Don't you love that crest? Although my reference book on birds say that both sexes look alike, there's no mention that the female is slightly smaller. But I guessed this must be the female. The female of the pair that had nested in one of my small trees about four years ago looked like this one.
Although the male had bits and pieces of nesting material on its beak, I don't think a nest will be built on any of the trees that I had mentioned.
When I went to check some time later it was all quiet and there was no sign of the pair.
The few zinnias that I planted are attracting plenty of insects. I didn't notice the tiny spider till I had loaded the photos in the computer.

After several months, it's a welcome sight to see one of the ringed butterflies resting on a (gerbera daisy) leaf.
Hoverflies on a calendula and below is a Plain Tiger butterfly feeding on coreopsis.






It's a good feeling to know (when I'm inside the house) that there's always some beautiful insect or bird waiting to be seen, admired, and photographed. 


To see other participants' posts, click here.

17 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

You have so much activity in your yard and yes I love the crest on the bird...I love it when I find a small insect on some photo I have taken. An added benefit..Lovely post for Nature Notes...thank you...Michelle

Sylvia K said...

Lovely birds and beautiful captures for the day! Love your flowers, such lovely colors and the butterflies are wonderful! Hope your week is going well!

Sylvia

nicolewian said...

I'm going to have my kids check out your site! We're learning about birds in school right now.

Libby said...

Oh! Pictures from India :) I love these blogs because we get to see things from everywhere. I think my favorite is the colorful little beetle at the end! God job with the photos!

EG CameraGirl said...

It's delightful to see so much going on in nature! I would have loved hearing the twittering of the birds.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The birds are impressive! And I love all the beautiful insets, not one is ugly or scary!!!

jewaicious said...

What fantastic captures of flowers and feathers...beauties all.

ShySongbird said...

Lovely photos of your garden visitors Kanak. It is so nice to get to know some of the birds from your part of the world and you were able to get some very good shots of the Red-vented Bulbul.

The butterflies are posing very prettily on your colourful blooms and I'm glad you pointed out the little spider, I was so busy admiring the butterfly that I would have missed it otherwise.

I also loved seeing the sweet little Tailor Bird on the previous post, it did look very small.

We have had some gloriously sunny and warm weather this week, it has been such a treat so early in the year :-)

Carver said...

Great looking birds and I also love the flowers, butterfly and other insects. You took some wonderful nature shots.

eileeninmd said...

wonderful nature shots. The bulbul is a cool looking bird, love the crest. And your butterflies are gorgeous. You garden must be lovely to attract the wildlife. Thanks for sharing.

Celeste said...

Great shots and you are so right, it is great to know that nature is buzzing away right outside your home :)

Anita Kumar said...

Beautiful pictures Kanak.

Jillien said...

these are incredible! and I'm so impressed how you knowthe names of all the insects and birds! amazing. :)

stardust said...

All the birds and insects in your garden look happy with trees and lovely flowers, and they are all photogenic. Have a happy weekend.

Yoko

Pat said...

Lovely captures.

lotusleaf said...

Hi Kanak! Sorry for being late,- I was busy with the exams. Your photos of the red vented bulbul are fantastic!I have never managed to catch them! It is so true, one feels that there is always some beautiful bird or insect foraging in the garden,

Sujata said...

Hi Kanak. Great to find another blog of yours! And such interesting captures too!