Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Nature Notes/ The Season's Bloomers


It's the dustiest period of the year. There's always a light wind blowing leaving that fine patina of dust on anything that can be called a surface. This is when we long for the rains, at least we'll get a respite from the dust. But outside there's a lot of colour. My small planting area near the front door has a mix of flowers. I put in a few calendulas, verbena, pansies, salvia, and zinnia. The idea was that a mixed area would attract different kinds of butterflies. But so far I've only had the cabbage whites and a few skippers on the blooms.


I had planted two kinds of bougainvillea near the gate. They grew really bushy so I pruned them severely last year. They don't look too bad now. The red flowers beyond these white and pink ones belong to the neighbouring house. It's the Corky Coral tree. Throughout the day, the tree is visited by myriad birds.


The red penta is the favourite haunt of lizards and sunbirds. The butterflies seem to love coming here only during the height of summer.





I'm so happy with the buds on my small azalea plant. Although I've had the plant for over four years now, this is only the second time that it's blooming. Maybe it has to do with the colder (than usual)  winter we've had. When I started blogging I longed to grow cold climate plants that I drooled over at all the wonderful gardening blogs. It took me some time (read failure and expenses) to realize that such experiences were futile. As for azaleas, only these dark pink ones seem to do well in our area.


To see what's happening in the world of nature, visit Michelle at Rambling Woods.

10 comments:

Carver said...

You have a beautiful garden. Great shots.

Rambling Woods said...

I agree with Carver..You do have a beautiful garden and I am sure you will attract more butterflies..It's funny as I look at the photos of warmer climates and long to grow those plants..I guess we always long for that which we don't have..but we can only do for our wildlife in our area and I am sure they thank you.!!..Michelle

Sylvia K said...

You do indeed have a lovely garden and your captures for the day are delightful as always! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a wonderful and colorful variety you have, they will be attracting a lot of different creatures!

eileeninmd said...

I love your garden and it is so nice to see the wildlife that your plants and flowers attract. Great post and beautiful flowers.

ShySongbird said...

Hi Kanak, The area by your door looks very colourful and your Azalea looks lovely already but will be a picture when in full flower I am sure. I can only grow them (the smaller varieties) in pots in my garden as my soil is not acidic enough. They do grow in great profusion in many areas here though, both in gardens and in the wild. However, in the wild although beautiful, as a plant introduced to this country in Victorian times it is invasive, and has been responsible for the destruction of much of our native habitat.

I also enjoyed your recent Pobitora visit and seeing the birds especially the rather striking Stork.

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden! It was a great tour.

Stephanie said...

The buds of the azalea is really promising. I think the flowers are going to huge :-D My azaleas require high acid fertiliser to bloom well. Mulch with shredded leaves or leaf mold also. They are acid loving plants. Have a great weekend!!

Wendy said...

Your garden is beautiful! I adore Azaleas and I can't wait to see yours in bloom.

Libby said...

What a great garden - thanks for sharing!