Monday, November 28, 2011

The Commander Butterfly


The other day I came across this butterfly on my mussaenda plant. I recognized it as the Commander as I'd seen it two years ago in my front yard. Looking up online I found out that the Commander is found in low elevations and found all over India. It's fond of damp patches and the flowers of the Aztec marigold. Male butterflies exhibit strong territorial behaviour, often perch high on trees and pounce on other butterflies. Only time will tell whether I'll be able to document such actions in future.:)

8 comments:

lotusleaf said...

What a beauty! I have not come across this here.

Teuvo Vehkalahti said...

Thank you for your comment Teuvo Images blog. Newer pictures are at www.ttvehkalahti.blogspot.com. There, I also support the visit. Sincerely Teuvo Finland

One said...

That's a great capture indeed! I have yet to come across a butterfly that looks like this one.

Sylvia K said...

I do love your butterflies!! Such delightful, colorful captures! This one is exquisite! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Sylvia

Wendy said...

Very pretty butterfly! Interesting to note that the males can be territorial. I had no idea butterflies behaved that way.

Anita Kumar said...

Another pretty butterfly! Kanak, you're turning to be my encyclopaedia on butterflies.

A. said...

spectacular kanank

Rambling Woods said...

I came back to read more of your posts and am happy to find a nature blogger like me except I'm in the US. It is so interesting to see the different kinds of wildlife some very different yet with some similarities. I would guess your weather affords you much more opportunity to photograph outside especially insects although I have found some lady bugs and some stink bugs seeking a warm winter spot, one in my toothbrush holder..another in my robe pocket...Michelle