Monday, February 21, 2011

Red Dragonflies


Joco of http://morememes.blogspot.com had asked me whether there were more photos of the red dragonfly. Yes, of the one on my header. These are the ones I haven't used before but of the same dragonfly taken on one of those oh-so-dragonfly-moments! You see when they are gorging on a mosquito, savouring each and every bite, they're loath to move and that's when I get my lucky shots!:)

This is the Red Grass Hawk dragonfly/Neurothemis fluctuans. This species is found from China across south-east Asia and in India. They are found near water bodies. And below are the ones in a duller shade of maroon though I haven't compared enough Google images to be able to come up with their names!

Now that the warmer season is well on its way, I'm sure it's going to be a feast for the eyes! I'm hoping to take tons of photos this year. The sight of these beauties, coupled with all the other garden wildlife that I photograph makes the heat of Summer, a little kinder.:))

6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Such marvelous, colorful creatures! And not ones that we see here very often! Your photos are delightful as always! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my goodness!!! This is amazing!! Remember when I asked you never to change this header?? So he was eating a mosquito and that's why he is still?? I cannot wait till you start getting more pictures, they will be awesome!!!

joco said...

What a colour!!
Absolutely perfect shade of red.
Lovely images. Wings of coral with a lacey structure. I want one :-)
As a pet. To watch flying about all day.
Thank you for showing them.

Randy Emmitt said...

Kanak,

Hopefully in a month we'll be swarming in spring dragonflies.! Enjoyed these way too much!

Stephanie said...

I am sure your summer is going to a cheerful one as well. I can imagine lots of flowers and garden creatures like this one here are coming your way soon...

Enjoy the week and have a great day!

Ola said...

This is incredibly pretty!