Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Lucky Sighting!

Welcome to my blog. I've always been fascinated by wildlife around me and although I've been blogging for the past four years I felt that I needed a new spot to share the several pictures that I take nearly every day. I'm happy to start my post with a lucky sighting today.


This is the Common Crow butterfly/Euploea core. It's also referred to as the Common Indian Crow and is found in South Asia. Although I had seen the caterpillar and the chrysalis earlier this year, I was disappointed to find out that the chrysalis had a hole in the middle. My guess is that a spider must have been the predator at large.
Earlier this month I was happy to see two caterpillars on the fig plant. They soon fattened up but I found only one  chrysalis.
It  was a pale creamish colour and difficult to get a good shot.
 Later it changed to a beautiful green. Sorry for the blurry pictures...somehow the light turned against me:)
But  to see this sight this morning is a moment I'll never forget. It stayed for a long while drying its wings. As I clicked away, I saw a tiny caterpillar (same species) munching away. I hope my fig plant and I will witness many such occasions in the years to come.
Thank you for stopping by.


The butterfly counts not months but moments and has time enough.~ Rabindranath Tagore

13 comments:

Autumn Belle said...

Kanak, this is a lovely blog. I look forward to learning more about the wildlife in your area from this blog. Keep up the good work!

lotusleaf said...

This is a wonderful blog. Keep it up!I hope to see lots of unusual creatures.

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

Kanak I wish you lots of success with your new blog - it will be great to see all your wildlife in one place on the net. All our widlife is now in hibernation and I am missing taking wildlife photos just now. I'm looking forward to seeing yours instead.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a fabulous first post for your new blog!! And your header is amazing!!!!! I'm thinking that this blog may be even better than your other one!!

Caroline Gill said...

What a brilliant way, Kanak, to begin your new blog! May you have many other unexpected and wonderful find. I'm so pleased the lizard is in on the act!

Nature Rambles said...

Friends, thank you all so much! My header photo was taken two years ago. I'm happy I'll be finally able to put all the wildlife in one place:)But mostly it's going to be with my regular garden buddies...the lizard very much tops the list here! Thanks once again. I'll post about thrice a week. Hope you drop by again.

Randy Emmitt said...

Kanak,
Love the new site! Really nice to have butterflies growing in your yard isn't it.

Nature Rambles said...

Randy, thank you so much! It's a wonderful feeling, really! I hope I'll be able to see such moments in the years to come!:)

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi Kanak, your new blog is very beautiful. It is fantastic to see the birth of this butterfly. I see the crow here too. Also observed the little jewel hanging on a branch, but I learned from you that it is actually the chrysalis of the common crow. "Yes, they need sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."

Nature Rambles said...

Trudi...thanks a ton! Always lovely to have you visit. Love the quote you added. Have a nice day!:)

Cyren said...

Oh what a beautiful butterfly! And the chrysalis, what a lovely shade of gold!!! Meanwhile the hole in your chrysalis was probably made by some parasitic wasps. These terrors lay their eggs inside the bodies of caterpillars and when the caterpillars grow the wasp larvae eats it from the inside. After the caterpillar becomes a chrysalis the wasp larvae eats everytihng in it and turns into a pupa of its own before it emerges and bits a hold in the chrysalis and transforms into a little monster of its own!

Don't like them very much.

What foodplants do these butterflies' eat btw?

A. said...

what a wonderful blog this is!

'Tsuki said...

Nice start ! I sure I'll love to see your pictures : you have a way to capture insectes that I just love... I'll follow your work.